Top 5 Essential Oils For Pregnancy
I had a lot of different products that supported a smooth pregnancy, but some of my favorites were essential oils! I have been using Young Living oils for about 6 years, but used them SO much while pregnant. Here are my top 5 favorite oils for pregnancy.
Disclaimer: Consult with your OBGYN and do your own research before using essential oils during pregnancy. They should be used only after research and study on how to use them properly. They are medicinal and should be used that way. Essential oils from a random store are not the same as essential oils from a reputable company. The essential oils market is not regulated well, so you need to make sure you get high-quality products and not essential oils filled with synthetic ingredients and fillers.
I can’t imagine pregnancy without Peppermint! This is my #1 go to. I think I used it everyday while pregnant.
- Nausea–thankfully I never experienced too much nausea. In the very beginning I had a few days where I didn’t feel great and then a few random times after I ate certain foods where I got sick, but nothing that bad. If I woke up feeling a little nauseous, I would just rub a couple drops of Peppermint oil and Jojoba oil on my stomach and I would be feeling better pretty quickly.
- Headaches–I had a few weeks where I got pretty annoying headaches, but Peppermint always came to the rescue.
- Stuffy nose–I had random weeks where my nose got pretty stuffy. Apparently this is a thing? Sometimes I woke up in the middle of the night and I couldn’t breathe through my nose and that was the worst! But a drop of Peppermint oil around the nose helps so so much and I got back to sleep pretty quickly.
- Heartburn–I didn’t deal with any heartburn, but I’ve heard that Peppermint oil on your chest really helps with this as well.
- Digestive issues–pregnancy definitely made digestion a little interesting. If I felt bloated or was having any stomach issues, I just rubbed Ginger and some Peppermint and a carrier oil on my stomach and it helped.
Peace and Calming
- Stress–I have always been a planner and I like routine. I haven’t been one to do great with the unknowns in life. Being pregnant was one big unknown. Peace and Calming and Stress Away were two oils that help support anxious feelings or stressful times. I do have to say that even though these oils have helped–they won’t take away anxiety or fear–the only way to combat fear is to spend time with God and learn His way of dealing with fear and anxiety. No amount of positive thinking, yoga, self-help books, or oils are going to get rid of it. And let’s face it, we live in a stressed out, anxiety driven world–there’s nothing to be ashamed of if you have those feelings–most people do for one reason or another sometimes, but you don’t have to go through it alone.
- Perfume–I love the smell of this one! It has a vanilla tropical smell and I love it! It can also be used for stress, hence the name. I try to use as many non-toxic, chemical free products as I can, especially during pregnancy. Traditional perfume is filled with things I don’t want getting in my bloodstream. Just dab a few drops on your wrists and people will be asking you why you smell so good!
- Skin–my skin was so clear, glowing, and lovely after getting pregnant—NOT. My skin used to be clear, glowing, and lovely, but when I got pregnant it was consistently breaking out and red. Lavender oil was one of the only things that helped.
Real Aloe Vera gel (straight from the plant–you can get a plant at Lowe’s) and using the oil cleansing method (I like to use Jojoba oil) instead of face wash has also helped a lot for calming down my skin.
After pregnancy I figured out that I was dealing with some rosacea, which is caused by a gut issue. So working on my gut health has been super important.
RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT ESSENTIAL OILS
Gentle Babies-This is such a good book for learning about oils for pregnancy, postpartum, and for how to use them safely with babies and children. I use this ALL the time!
Essential Oils Ancient Medicine-This is also another favorite. It has a lot of information on how to use specific oils for specific things. This is how I learned a lot of information initially about essential oils.
If you are pregnant, please do yourself a favor and get quality essential oils to support your pregnancy. You’ll be so glad that you did!
My favorite place to order Essential Oils: Young Living (referral code: 2537379)
What are your favorite oils to use, pregnant or not?